Friday, December 3, 2010

Questionable for Cause?

As with most of the world (it seems) today, I also have a Facebook account.  Aside from the cutesy little status updates, or birthday party announcements, I really don’t get into all the applications and stuff.  I have noticed a note has been circulating for a couple of days that says something to the effect of in support of breast cancer awareness you are to put on your status a word (in this case it is a type of alcohol) as it correlates to a code system of relationship attachment.  I don’t remember all of them but I remember what my status would have been.  I am married so I would have wrote beer as my status.  Now the point of this is for people to be aware of breast cancer, but what in the world does beer have to do with breast cancer awareness? 

I think that social media entices us to do questionable things for a good cause.  I remember the last one of these status update things was to put in your status where you like to place your purse when you come home and it was to say “I like it on the”… Now to someone who doesn’t know what that is about, that could come off as vulgar.  I also opted not to do that one. 

Where do we draw the line?  How do we separate our values, or inherent conscious from something that is for a good cause but a little risqué? 

When we start compromising what we think is right, then we wind up in the wrong direction.  I don’t think that there are many people on this earth that don’t know about breast cancer, so telling people in a code about it isn’t going to help the cause. 

If you would like to know more about breast cancer or donate to help find a cure, there is a link right below to help you do so.

http://www.breastcancer.org/  (For information)

http://ww5.komen.org/  (For information and to donate)

 

30096_1321269588901_1145650059_30762589_1012968_n

A true warrior. My granny. Double mastectomy.

1 comment: