Sunday, May 15, 2011

Just Pots and Pans

God has a funny way of delivering a message, doesn't He?  Sometimes he delivers it through my children, sometimes through strangers, sometimes through His word.  Sometimes He uses objects.  Today He used pots and pans.

The sermon today at church, our Youth Pastor Josh Blanton took over the job of delivering God's word to us just as He has said it.  First of all I must say he did just exactly what God wanted, He opened my eyes.  Second of all Josh's sermon started off my day thinking about my mortality.  (Yes I know, once again).  What it made me think of is, do I do enough for God.  Not saying that you get to heaven on your works, but God doesn't give out free rides either.  Narrow is the path.  Josh made a very important point.  He gave us three warnings to consider when talking about showing people the way of salvation.  Here are his words:

1.  We drift towards that which is easy and popular.
2.  We profess what we do not possess.
3.  We assume salvation without biblical foundation.

Let me give you a short synopsis of each.  The first is that we want the way to salvation to be as simple as repeat these words and you will go to heaven (without changing the life that you are living now).. Guess what.. The sinners prayer is not a magical incantation.  It is only a stepping stone towards God.  If you are praying that and expecting what Josh termed "fire insurance", you'll be sadly mistaken upon your death.  Matthew 7:21-23 says:
"21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. "

God plainly says that not everyone that calls upon His name will enter into heaven.  The second thing Josh talked about: Professing what we aren't possessing.  That is talking about looking within ourselves and making sure that when we say we are going to heaven, we really are.  Did you just pray the sinners prayer and carry on like nothing happened.  When you really pray that prayer, when God has convicted you and your soul is yearning for Him, I promise you, you will notice a change.

The last thing that Josh talked about what assuming salvation.  The verse that he took this from is also in Matthew 7 and verses 24-27:

24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

You cannot claim salvation through Jesus' blood if you are actually building your Christian foundation on a very shaky ground.  You must be firm in the fact that you have truly accepted God's gift.  If you have any inclination that you aren't saved, you aren't.

That is the first part of my day.  After church I donned my cleaning clothes and went to my mama's house to help her clean her cabinets.  My mom is 70 and I can hardly even say that sometimes without crying.  As I was cleaning out the cabinets, I ran across my grandmothers cast iron skillets.  She would have been 101 on this very day.  Seeing that part of my grandmother, those pans that she so lovingly cooked for her family in, made me think of the day (unless I die first) that I will be cleaning out my mothers cabinets. 

This made me think, do I do enough for my mama?  I try to always be there when she calls.  I wish I could jump every time she needs me at the second she needed me.  But I do try.  And I think she knows that.  This second part of my day made me wonder if I don't do enough for God, and I don't do enough for my mother, who am I doing for?  The answer is me.  I do for me.  I will not quit doing this blog, because when I write something here, I feel it is direct message from God.  But I am going to cut out more time in my life for my God and for my mom. 

I KNOW my mom is going to heaven, and will be happy that she won't be in pain anymore, but I will also be sad that I won't have my mother here on Earth for spiritual guidance, love and direction.  She has been a true inspiration in my life.  Thinking of a life without her is almost too hard for me to bear.  Seeing her pans along with my grandmothers really brought the message that Josh gave this morning home for me.  But they are just pots and pans right?

No comments:

Post a Comment