Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Bittersweet Memory

Yesterday was the day we chose to celebrate all of my children's birthdays.  Since their actual birthdays are all within one month, we give our family a break, and let them all join in at one time.

The day was marked with chili, lil' smokies, cake, ice cream and presents.  Lots of kids, laughter and a few tears.  But a day I feel blessed to have witnessed.  My children and those that got to attend had a wonderful time.

In just a couple of weeks, it will be the anniversary of my nephew Jeffrey's death.  He was 26 when he passed.  When he died, he had very few possessions.  One of his mainstays was his shotgun.  While the search party were searching for him, they found this laying in the grass just a bit away from where he was eventually discovered.  I would dare say that when we saw he left that behind, we knew we wouldn't find him and smile about it.

My father took Jeffrey's gun.  He got it completely redone.  It was rusty and dirty, and when finished it looked like a completely different gun.  Yesterday, at my oldest sons birthday party, my father gave it to him.  Jeffrey's mom, my sister Lisa, told my father that Jeffrey would have wanted Jakob to have the gun.  Watching my son be handed that gun was one of the saddest moments of my life.  I wish Jeffrey could be here to pass it to Jakob, to teach him to shoot it and to take care of it. 

Jakob receiving Jeffrey's gun

Jakob will treasure it.  As he treasures the memories he has of Jeffrey.  He will always be in our hearts.  I will always live my life, knowing he never got the chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment